Episode 16: Navigating Parental Leave As a Lawyer
Subscribe now so that you don’t miss an episode!
Taking parental leave is difficult – especially as a lawyer. Even assuming that you have a generous parental leave policy in place, it’s not easy to step away and even harder to come back.
That’s why I’ve invited an expert (the amazing Lori Mihalich-Levin) to today’s podcast. Lori walks us through how to plan for and return from your leave of absence mindfully so that you can feel confident in yourself, enjoy your time away and not feel overwhelmed when going back to work.
And although you might not be thinking of taking a parental leave of absence any time soon (or ever), I encourage you to listen to this episode regardless for 2 main reasons:
- Lori’s mindful return framework is applicable to any leave of absence (it would have been incredibly helpful back when I took my cancer leave of absence).
- Someone you manage or work with will take a leave of absence. This episode (and the next one) will help you manage it more effectively.
Here’s what we cover in today’s episode about how to navigate a parental leave of absence:
- The biggest concerns that new parents (and especially lawyers) tend to grapple with when taking parental leave.
- A simple four-part framework for a successful transition back to work after taking a leave of absence.
- How to set boundaries without burning bridges.
- Advice for taking parental leave as a partner/shareholder with a book of business.
- Specific advice for how to NOT feel isolated when returning to work after a parental leave.
- How to use Lori’s 4-part framework for long-term success within your practice/career (and to deal with disruptions).
This is the first of a 2-part interview with Lori, so be on the lookout for next week’s episode (where we’ll talk about how employers can help).
Links Mentioned In This Episode:
- Work family enrichment article with Dr. Yael Schonbrun
- Mindful Return
- Deep Work by Cal Newport
- Parents At Work Podcast
- How to Say No Without Guilt (Article)
About Guest Lori Mihalich-Levin
Lori is a partner in the health care practice at Dentons, the founder & creator of Mindful Return, and author of Back to Work After Baby: How to Plan and Navigate a Mindful Return from Maternity Leave.
Connect with Lori here:
Give Feedback, Rate, Review & Subscribe
“SO SO SO happy I landed on this podcast!”
<<– If that sounds like you, please consider rating and reviewing the show. It will help me support more people — like you — succeed in both life and law.
All you have to do is click here, scroll to the bottom, tap to rate, and select “Write a Review”. And if you haven’t already subscribed to the podcast, hit the subscribe button.
P.S. Got an idea for the show? Have a question you’d like me to answer? Let me know what topics/questions you’d like covered in future episodes here.
Lawyer Career Coaching + Business Consulting From A Lawyer Who’s Been There
Let go of doing it all. Trust your instincts again. Keep things simple. Build the legal career you really want. To succeed in BOTH life and law.
Go here to learn how Heather can help you through her 1:1 career coaching/consulting and group masterminds.
Get The Life & Law Roadmap
Simple strategies that work. . . from a lawyer who’s been there.